Unreal Tournament 2003 or UT2003 is a first-person shooter video game designed mainly for multiplayer gaming. The game is part of the Unreal franchise's series of games, and is a sequel to Unreal Tournament (UT99).
The game set a record for the number of downloads (1.2 million) when the demo was released, which is a reflection of the popularity of the original UT. In addition, the game engine has been widely licensed for games such as the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series, Splinter Cell, and America's Army.
Unreal II: The Awakening was released as a sister product to the game.
The available combat modes are:
The game has single-player mode that mimics multiplayer gaming by featuring AI-bots.
- Deathmatch - Frag other players as much as possible to gain the highest score.
- Team Deathmatch - Two teams go head to head to be the best fragger.
- Capture the flag: Players must invade the enemies' base, capture their flag and bring it back to his/her base in order to score.
- Double Domination - In double domination two teams must control two points on the map. Holding both locations for a certain period of time gives points to a team.
- Bombing Run - Bombing run can best be described as Unreal-style football where the player gets the ball and has to take it into enemy territory and score in the enemy forces goal. Players can pass to other teammates. Getting killed causes the ball carrier to fumble the ball. The ball launcher is used to carry the ball, it isn't a weapon but helps the player heal when he/she is in low of health. 3 Points are awarded for field goals (shooting the ball through the goal), and 7 points are given for touchdowns (carrying the ball through the goal), although the levels are often designed such that this kills the ball carrier.
- Last man standing - All players in this gametype spawn with a limited number of lives. The last remaining player to still have lives wins the match.
- Invasion - Is a co-op gametype where you play with all the players in the server in an attempt to kill the invading alien AI. If you are killed, you must sit out until your team clears the map of aliens.
- Mutant - Mutant is very similar to a "Juggernaut" or a "King of the Hill" type of gameplay. The first person to make a kill becomes the mutant, which gives them unlimited ammo, camouflage, and super speed. The mutant then tries to get as many kills as he can until he's killed. The person who kills the mutant then becomes the mutant.