Microsoft® Systems Management Server (SMS) is a software distribution tool designed for medium- and large-sized organizations that manage large numbers of clients in a complex and rapidly changing business environment. Unlike Group Policy, SMS does not require that you have an Active Directory directory service structure set up, and you can use SMS to deploy software applications to a mixture of Microsoft Windows clients.
When you use SMS to install and maintain Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Packs (MUI Packs), you can help to set a precise control over the deployment process. For example, by using SMS you can query client computers for software requirements before you install Office, and you can target the installation only to computers that meet your criteria.
Systems Management Server features span the full range of deployment tasks, including the following:
Creating an inventory of hardware and software already deployed across the organization.
- Deploying Office 2003 with or without MUI Packs to a large number of clients or across multiple sites.
- Scheduling and tracking the status of application deployment.
- Pushing, or forcing, installation of Office 2003 on client computers.
- Deploying to users who do not have administrative rights on the local computer.
- Reporting and troubleshooting installation processes.